Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mamma, quel vino è generoso – Cavalleria Rusticana


Mother, Mother!
That wine is ample, and of course
I have drunk
Too many glasses today.
I’m going out in the open.
But first I want  
You to bless me
Like the day
When I left to be a soldier.

And then, mother, listen ...
If I should not return,
You must be
A mother to Santa,
Whom I have sworn
To lead to the altar.
You must be
A mother to Santa
If I should not return.

Oh, never mind!
It’s the wine talking!
The wine suggested it!
Pray to God for me!
A kiss, a kiss, mother!
One more kiss, farewell!
If I should not return,
Be a mother to Santa.
One kiss, mother, farewell!

Placido Domingo as Turridu sings 'Mamma, quel vino e generoso' from Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana.

Tokyo, 1976.

No comments:

Post a Comment